Spanish Residence Permit without the Entitlement to Work

- it is the easiest way of relocating to live in Spain.

Moving to a different country – it is a serious step to take and a big responsibility. As often as not applicants run into a large number of ins and outs and underlying potential problems, while unreliable information can lead to significant problems, expenses and the loss of time. We can provide you with official information and many years of experience. Would you like to get to know how to move to Spain on a residence permit without the entitlement to work as soon as it is possible and uneventfully? Let’s get all this straightened up!

What is the residence permit without the entitlement to work?

A residence permit without the entitlement to work (residencia temporal no lucrativa) – it is a permit that allows foreign nationals, who are not EU citizens, to remain in the territory of Spain for a period longer than 90 days without the right to work, on the condition that they have proved that they are financially self-sufficient and they have sufficient funds in their possession to support themselves and members of their family.

What is the legal framework?

Organic Law 4/2000 of 11 January «On the Rights and Freedoms of Foreigners in Spain and their Social Integration» (Articles 30 bis and 31);
Royal Decree 557/2011 of 20 April (Articles 45-49).

For how long is it issued?

It is issued for the period of 1 year.
First renewal for 2 years.
Second renewal for 2 years.
After 5 years of legal residence a long term residence permit for 5 years is issued.
After 10 years of lawful residence it is possible to apply for the citizenship of Spain.


An applicant does not depend on any other person in order to receive this type of residence permit;
The possibility for the entire family to move to Spain;
The period of residence in Spain on this type of residence permit allows you to receive Spanish citizenship;
There is no requirement and necessity to invest in Spain;
It allows you to study in Spain and to complete university internship, including paid internship;
It allows you to engage in an economic activity in other countries;
At the time of the first renewal, it is possible to modify this type of residence to the residence with the entitlement to work on contract or individual basis (a self-employed person).

Application Requirements

Financial self-sufficiency – it is the existence of sufficient funds for yourself and your family members to reside in the territory of Spain without doing any work.

Main Requirements for Applicants

  • You are not a European Union, European Economic Area or Swiss national, you are not a family member of a citizen of the countries listed above who are subject to the immigration regime of the EU citizens;
  • You do not stay illegally in the territory of Spain;
  • You have a clean criminal record in Spain and other countries of your residence for the past 5 years in accordance with the Spanish law;
  • You are not subject to a ban on entry in the territory of Spain and you are not declared a persona non grata for the purpose of entering the territories of other countries with which Spain has signed the relevant agreements;
  • You have sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in Spain and to return home, as well as pay the expenses of your family for the entire period of stay in the country;
  • You have a health insurance policy (government or private) purchased from an insurance company accredited in the territory of Spain;
  • You do not suffer from any diseases that can create a serious health risk to the citizens in accordance with the International Health Regulations of 2005;
  • You are not located in the country during the period of not being allowed to return to Spain, a foreign national agreed to observe within the framework of the voluntary return home programme.

«Sufficient Funds» – How much is it?

400% IPREM for the first member of the family and 100% IPREM for every subsequent family member.
In 2023 the IPREM is equal to 600,00 euro/ per month. As the result we get:
- no less than 33.600,00 euro per year for one person;
- no less than 42.000,00 euro per year for the family of two persons;
- no less than 50.400,00 euro per year for the family of three persons;
- no less than 58.800,00 euro per year for the family of four persons.

How to prove the financial self-sufficiency?

You can prove the income generated outside the territory of Spain by a statement from work, statements of personal income tax, tax declarations, moveable and real estate purchase agreements, tenancy contracts, documents on opening deposit accounts, company share certificates, etc.

Own or rented property?

You can own or rent a property. A tenancy agreement must be concluded for the period of 1 year and it must renew automatically.

What is a suitable health insurance policy?

A health insurance policy must be purchased from an insurance company accredited in the territory of Spain. The insurance policy should provide full coverage without co-payment and for the first year it is recommended to take out an additional repatriation cover.

What is the Covering Letter for?

A covering letter in Spanish is one of the principal documents to apply for a residence permit in Spain without the entitlement to work. The purpose of this letter is to provide a detailed view of the applicant, specifying the objectives and reasons for applying for a residence permit. The letter does not have a particular format. It does not guarantee that you will receive a residence permit or a visa, but it plays an important role in taking the decision and it also helps state officials to make sense of your documents and motives. The information described in your letter should be supported with facts – the documents you have compiled in a document package for submission. Having examined your documents and read your Covering Letter the state official must have a clear understanding of who you are, what you do for a living, why you decided to move to Spain, what objectives you follow. We recommend you to take the composing of your Covering Letter seriously.

Procedure and Time Limits

You can submit your document package at the Embassy of Spain at the place of your residence.
The processing period is 3 months. It is the maximum processing period set by law.
In practice a decision is taken much sooner. A national visa is issued for the period of 3 months; during the validity of it you must enter the territory of Spain.
Within the period of 1 month from the date of entering Spain, you need to apply for a Spanish resident card.

How can we be useful?

  • we give detailed information and evaluate your chances;
  • we study your case and give individual solution;
  • we build up relocation strategy;
  • we help to prepare and collect documents;
  • we make your documents translation;
  • we appeal against visa or residence permit refusal;
  • we help to extend your residence permit.

Why us?

  • we’re qualified lawyers and solicitors;
  • our work experience is more than 8 years;
  • immigration law it’s our specialization;
  • we don't make rookie mistakes;
  • we sign a contract without small print;
  • we have transparent prices;
  • we are responsible for every case we take.

No, we don´t

  • we don’t falsify documents or modify information;
  • we don’t give false promises or deceive our clients;
  • we don’t wind up prices;
  • we don’t sell appointments slots to state departments;
  • we can’t guarantee to get the resolution soon as possible, it depends on immigration department;
  • we don’t work for free, sorry.

Do you still have any questions? Drop us a line and we will be happy to answer them.