Staying in Spain for the purpose of studies

- this is the most economical way of moving abroad and getting European education at an affordable price.

It shouldn’t come as a big surprise that European education is not only of good quality but it is also highly sought after education, European diplomas are popular in all states and they are regarded highly all over the world. You can receive this education in many European countries but not everywhere it is accessible to foreign nationals. Spain is the location where the most popular European universities and business schools have their branch campuses. Foreign students can earn quality education at an affordable price there. Moreover, in addition to the higher education, you can complete a Spanish language course, immerse yourself in the atmosphere of the country, live the life of a native person, learn more about the culture of Spain, enjoy its nature and do some culinary and gastronomical discoveries. As soon as you decide the type of education you need and the educational institution you like, it will be the right time to prepare all documents to apply for the relevant stay permit in Spain. Let’s look at it in more details!

What does it mean to stay in Spain for the purpose of studies?

The fact of the matter is that a stay permit is not a type of residence, however it permits you to stay in the territory of Spain for the entire period of your studies (maximum up to 1 year, but in the case of higher education – up to 2 years) and it can also be renewed without the need of leaving the country. This type of stay permit is issued for the purpose of earning full time core or further education in an educational institution accredited by the Ministry of Education of Spain on the condition that a diploma or a training certificate is awarded upon the completion of the study programme.

What is the legal framework?

Organic Law 4/2000 of 11 January «On the Rights and Freedoms of Foreigners in Spain and their Social Integration» (Articles 25 bis, 30 and 33);
Royal Decree 557/2011 of 20 April (Articles 37-42).

For how long is it issued?

It is issued for the period of your studies.
Maximum up to 1 year.
In the case of higher education for up to 2 years.
It can be extended.

Full working day?

You must study the minimum of 20 hours per week 5 working days.

Principal Document Package

The proof of enrolment in an educational establishment providing the applicant’s identity data, information on the educational course, duration of studies, number of study hours per week;
a health insurance policy purchased from an accredited Spanish insurance company;
apostilled criminal records certificate;
the proof of funds covering expenses for the entire study and staying in the country period. At the rate of 100% IPREM per month for a person, 75% IPREM for the second family member and 50% IPREM for any subsequent family member. In 2023 the IPREM is equal to 600,00 euro/ per month;
a clean bill of health confirming that the applicant does not suffer from any diseases that can create a serious health risk to the citizens in accordance with the International Health Regulations of 2005;
the proof of residence in Spain (student accommodation, a rental agreement, property).

Where to apply?

You can apply to the immigration authority of the province in Spain where you are planning to complete your studies, on the condition that you are in the territory of the country legally. You can file your request online by the telematics route (certificado digital).
At the Embassy of Spain at the place of your residence.

Who can apply?

An applicant personally or his legal representative, an authorised person.

Is it allowed to apply in Spain while I am in the country on a tourist visa?

Yes, it is. A foreign national can submit the required document package in Spain only provided that he is staying in the territory of the country legally and it is done no later than a month before the end of the validity period of his document (e.g. visa).

What are the processing times?

1 month in Spain.
7 days at the Embassy.

Can the family move to Spain together with the student?

Spouses and children qualify for the same type of residence permit in Spain.
If a child receives a residence permit, this right does not apply to the parents.

Are there any age limits?

Formally there are no age limits. But your chances of receiving a residence permit for the purpose of doing a language course after the age of 30 is significantly lower.

Am I entitled to work?

A study residence permit provides the possibility of receiving the entitlement to work, which is more like a side job on part time basis that does not interfere with your primary type of activity – studies.

Do you have any doubts? Get in touch with us and we will assess your chances.